MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

94 years ago in 1927, Industria Licorera de Caldas was established.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Troy

Default Opinions on the best way to make rum

What are your opinions on the best way to make rum?

Sugarcane juice vs. molasses, new barrels vs. used for aged rums, if used then what type of used barrel?

Any particular type of sugarcane as the source? Any opinions on organic?

Filtration?
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

The best way to make rum depends on what kind of rum you want to make. Certainly fresh sugar cane juice makes a very different rum from say molasses, but the quality of the raw ingredient is one of the factors in making rum. The choice of raw material has more to do with what is available, for example, you won't be able to make rum from sugar cane juice in Kentucky because sugar cane won't grow there.

Fermentation and distillation are also keys areas to explore. How high of proof do you want or need to distill to? And then how much rum do you want or need to make in order to be cost effective?

Barrels are another factor, I would try to use the newest barrels I can find. Old barrels don't impart as much flavor to the spirit, but cost is always a factor. I would consider using sherry or casks used for another low alcohol spirit to finish the aging process, but all of this takes time and experimentation. I've yet to see anyone making exceptional rum in their first, second or even third year. I've met men who have been distilling spirits for years but haven't mastered the art of making sugar cane spirits after several years thought they are learning as they go.

Organic is great, but more important is sustainable agriculture. Farmers need to keep the soil in good condition or the whole process of organic farming isn't sustainable.

I know I haven't given you the easy answers but the fact is there are no easy answers just as there is no best rum for every occasion. The diversity of this spirit is what has driven me to research it for more than ten years and I'm still learning.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Troy

Thanks Edward. I expect that it will take many years of experimenting to get it down. Plenty of tasting as well.

My goal is to start out on as close to a good path as possible for each type of rum I make. I'll have to experiment and build on my knowledge from there.

I plan on making several different types of rums. I'd like to get some opinions on what production methods work best for different types of rums. For example, with a premium aged rum would I be best experimenting with fresh juice or molasses? Would it be a better rum in your opinion if I bought brand new oak barrels or barrels that have been used for sherry? Ignore the cost part of the equation for the moment. Right now I just want to figure out how to make excellent rums of different types.

I have the option of using molasses or sugarcane juice in my location. It is my understanding that with sugarcane juice you do not need to distill out as many impurities. This seems to me that it would lead to a potentially more flavorful rum. Is that correct?

I have read that you can get more flavor with a slow fermentation process as well. Is that true as a general rule?

I like the idea of organic. I know that I can source organic juice as well as molasses. I'm not sure how you go about verifying that it is grown with sustainable processes. If there is an organization that certifies sustainability I would be very interested in sourcing from an organic sustainable grower.

Last edited by Troy; 05-01-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
DemeraraDrinker

Near the Demerara river.
DemeraraDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Troy

I want to do some spiced rums to start. I love most any rum that I've soaked bananas or some other fruit in for a few days.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions