MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

112 years ago in 1907, Angostura Ltd was founded.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
malice

Default Loving life and looking for the best

If I am at a cocktail lounge, I will try just about anything. If I am at a tavern, I will search out Belgian ales. If I am at a bar, I will usually have a Captain & Coke (use Admiral Nelson and I will not be happy) with no lime. If I am at home I will be sipping Ron Zacapa 23 with a glass of Maredsous or Delirium Tremens. Hard to find a bar that is going to have both Zacapa and a good Belgian, although I have found some! - Palm Tavern in Milwaukee (25 beers on tap - mostly Belgian AND Ron Zacapa). I love tiki bars and cocktail lounges and I am always on the search for another good watering hole.

I don't like rums that taste strongly of alcohol or are "harsh" or dry. I tried Rhum Neisson and did not like it. I was told that it was typical of a Martinique rum, so I am going to skip that area's offerings for the time being. I like spiced and aged rums, but not flavored rums. I like those that are sweet and smooth with a little warmth.

In addition to those mentioned above, I have tried Ron Matusalem, Mount Gay XO, Captain Morgan Private Stock, Montecristo 12 year, Pyrat XO Reserve, Cruzan Aged, Appleton Estate V/X, Rhum Barbancourt 8 yr, Havana Club Anejo Especial, Havana Club 7 year, Barbados Plantation Grand Reserve, 10 Cane, Santa Teresa. Some that I don't even really wish to mention, but will for reference - Voodoo Special, Lemon Hard 8, Malibu, Captain Morgan Tattoo, Bacardi Spiced, Cruzan Black Strap, and Leblon's Cachaca. I have most of these in my collection.

I am looking for more that are like Ron Zacapa. Ron Matusalem and Mount Gay XO almost do it, but not quite.

I am going to St Lucia in a couple of months and plan to pick up a bottle of Admiral Rodney, but from the reviews it may not be as sweet and smooth as I like. I also want to try to pick up a bottle of Kweyol just for fun.

My list of rums to try include El Dorado 20, 25, and 15, Appleton 21, 30, and Legacy, Havana Club Gran Reserva, and Ron del Barrilito 2 star and 3 star.

Any suggestions or comments are warmly welcome!
malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Rum Runner

Welcome malice.

Since you like Zacapa you should give Pampero Aniversario a test drive if you get the chance.

Have fun in St. Lucia and make sure you post a trip report here!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I find the Diplomatico rums to be very nice, kind of in the zacapa style, kinda not. Very rich and full of flavour with a touch of sweetness.

Zaya of course is very much like Zacapa, but my strongest recommendation would be to give the FLOR DE CANA range a go, particularly the 12 year. No it doesn't taste like Zacapa, but it is very very smooth, with a wonderful flavour profile.

Cheers! and welcome.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forums, without, malice.

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. From the sound of it, you're fairly new to rum, but not consuming alcohol. I was introduced to Belgian Ales a few years ago and think I found another vice.

My guess is that as you try more rums your tastes will change and you'll enjoy more rums beyond Captain and Coke and Zacapa. Enjoy the journey.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
twosons

Default St lucia

You will have a great time in St Lucia. If you like spiced rum it is everywhere in St Lucia. The locals make there own with spices from the backyard. You will find Rum Shops on most street corners. Castries has a nice peanut rum.
My wife and I own a condo at The Landings in Rodney Bay. We alway bring back as many bottles of local spiced rum that we can hide in our bags. Have a nice time. Paul
twosons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
malice

Thanks for the welcomes and the tips!

I will jot down all your suggestions and do what I can to seek them out. I haven't found anyplace around here (Milwaukee, WI) yet that has many rums to try. I was at a restaurant on Saturday and was excited to see a rum I hadn't tried yet on the menu - a Barbancourt 15. It was the only rum listed on their full page of many spirits. Of course, they were out so I was forced to enjoy a Chimay on tap. I will see what I can find when I am in Orlando and St Lucia and will continue my search locally.

Edward - I have indeed spent many years with a Captain & Coke in my hand and look very much forward to expanding my tastes and appreciation. Unfortunately, most of the places I end up at are stocked with Miller beer and either Captain or Admiral Nelson. Since I am unable to try any first, it is hard to convince myself to buy bottles, especially some of the higher priced ones, without first tasting them. However, with the expert suggestions I hope to find here, I could be more easily swayed to pick up a few.

Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
RonJames

Belgian ales are good too, love em. Go with arctic wolf's advice, diplomatico. Also I believe that Barrilito is sold in CA if you were thinking of a mail order. My wife is from PR and I will tell you that I LOVE barrilito. It is either a love hate thing tho and there are those that think it over rated, but I am not one of them.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
malice

I went and picked up a bottle of Zaya and a bottle of Flor de Cana 12 year. I spoke with the guy who does the ordering at my favorite liquor store around here (Ray's on North) and he said that he hasn't been able to get Pampero or the Diplomatico rums, but he hasn't given up on the Diplomatico and thinks he might have a lead on a way to get some that he will pursue.

I will report back what I think of the Zaya and the Flor de Cana once I shake this hangover from enjoying the Halloween weekend a touch too much.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
coconuts

You've got to go to the Bottom Lounge/Volcano Room! It's in Chicago, but worth the drive- especially since Milwaukee's only a couple of hours away. We didn't know which way to drink! They had Piraat Ale on tap, but so much good rum too. The rum won. I will admit I'm extremely tempted to go back there for the weekend, and I don't mean Chicago in general- like go to the bar, hotel, bar, hotel, home.

As far as Diplomatico goes, Borisal/Drinkupny.com carries it and they ship. Sam's Wines and Spirits also ships, but I don't know whether they ship to WI or not. They do have Barrilitos for a decent price (it was under $25 when we were there- of course they were sold out that day).

Last edited by coconuts; 11-03-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added online sources
coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
malice

The Volcano Lounge is on my list and I am super excited to check it out. I saw that it was the location for the Chicago Ministry of Rum Festival and I was disappointed that I wasn't aware of this site then and missed it. I am crossing my fingers that it happens again and I am able to attend. I love a good tiki lounge and i get down to Chicago every few weeks so i will try to check it out and a future visit when I am able.

I am going to be going to a Tiki Bar called Foundation in Milwaukee (http://www.foundationbar.com/) on Saturday. The reviews on Yelp make it sound pretty fantastic (http://www.yelp.com/biz/foundation-milwaukee). Should be a good time.

Any other Milwaukee people on this board?

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions