MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

109 years ago in 1911, Arecibo played an important production role in the Puerto Rico rum industry, as it was home to the Puerto Rico Distilling Co., founded in 1911.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
mammel

Default Puerto Rico

I will be leaving for a southern Carribean cruise in a few weeks.

I can't remember the name of the city where the cruise departs from, but i can only imagine there is one main place, which we are also flying into.

Does anyone know what the duty free selection is like at that airport? I hope its not all Bacardi and nothing else!

I plan to pick up anything decent along the way, and we are doing the Mount Gay tour in Barbados. Hopefully I can snag another bottle of Admiral Rodney's while in St. Lucia! Its good stuff!

Thanks
mammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Rum Runner

Hi mammel. I presume since your thread is titled Puerto Rico you will be landing at San Juan International Airport and embarking at the Port in Old San Juan.

The Airport Duty Free shops have a modest rum selection and the prices are pretty much the same as normal retail prices here on the Island.

That being said, The Ron del Barrilito 2 Star and 3 Star and the Trigo Reserva Aneja as well as their Ron Canita Alambique are well worth picking up as they are not widely distributed outside of Puerto Rico. DonQ's Anejo and Gran Anejo are right up there as fine examples. The Bacardi Reserva Limitada is also a nice splurge.

You may wish to check with your cruise provider as to restrictions on carry-on alcohol onboard ship.

Have fun!

Last edited by Rum Runner; 11-27-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
mammel

Yes, we are flying out of (and boarding our cruise) in San Juan.

I have been on a few cruises now, and sometimes they want to "hold" your liquor purchases for you until the end of the cruise and sometimes they dont care and you can carry it on without issue.

As we make some of the Port calls i plan to keep my eyes open for something decent. I only ask about the duty free, more as a last resort. If for some reason i cant find much where I happen to be, its nice to know if the selection at the airport is decent....sometimes its nice to slip an extra purchase in too (even if your suitcase is overfilled)

Thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

If you can tell me which ports you'll visit I can probably give you some hints of what to look for on various islands.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
mammel

I think i know what i want to buy based on where i am going. The real problem lies, will i be able to find a place within the time frame of the stop over to find what i was looking for.

I think there may be ports where i wont have time to look, but who knows.

I was trying to figure out what the duty free at the airport has, as more of a fall back position.

Ports are:

Barbados - going to mount gay distillery
Tortola
St. lucia - going for admiral rodneys (if i can find it)
St Thomas

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
leisure master

Hi mammel

I don't know the size of your rum collection, but I had very good luck at the duty free store in San Juan when I was there last year. I was able to find 6 or 7 rums in that shop alone that I did not have, and I have well over 100 bottles. Don Q Gran Anejo is a must, as is the Ron Barrilito 3 star. I would stick with Rum Runner's other suggestions too - he knows the good stuff.

BTW - I like that you used the phrase "the real problem" in your last post - may all of our problems be like that!

have fun on your cruise!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

On all of the islands you mention, I'd definitely check out the grocery stores, ask the crew on the ship where they shop for candy, cigarettes, etc. All of the islands have grocery stores fairly close to the cruise ship docks.
I've consistently found good prices and many times a better selection of rums in the grocery stores than in many of the shops.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
krustykrab

I agree - head for the grocery stores! I was in St Thomas a few years ago on a cruise and found a great selection there. You'll probably be docked at the main pier - Just out of the pier complex the road heads left toward town - if you head straight back and slightly uphill look for the Pueblo supermarket on the right and Kmart on the left - I got GREAT deals and found decent selection at each. In town, AJ Riise has a fine selection of rums from all over the islands!

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by krustykrab; 12-01-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
RonJames

Buy the rum in the ports you want and stow it in the suitcase...then hit up san juan airport on the return flight. Interesting note. San Juan airport has never limited me on the amount I can buy at the duty free. Go with what rum runner has told you.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
leisure master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
San Juan airport has never limited me on the amount I can buy at the duty free.
Excellent point Ron - as a US territory, there is no limit on the duty free - when I made my purchases, they basically told me I could buy as much as I could carry without issue...it was true - they don't even use the customs forms if I remember correctly so there is no where to declare what you have.

On the down side though, as a US territory there is no Havana Club in PR, so make sure to get any of that in your other ports.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions