MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

123 years ago in 1895, Destilerias Arehucas, S.A. was establihsed in the Canary Islands.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #21
Mark

go to www.martayrol.com
click on produits
under Alcools brun
Rhums Vieux
the "Chauffe Coeur" Rhums are listed

I'm not sure and that is no excuse but I think this matter is a mystery to Christine, as well.
Now RR, you're not a young man, whatever that means, when you write her and "cut to the chase" be friendly if you don't receive the desired direct answer so be it.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I can't imagine trying to sell you anything.
Let's wait and let Ed speak for himself.
Ok the quality is not in question but you will not purchase another bottle because it's label is misleading?
What did you think about the taste? Does it compare favorably to you to similar offerings from La Favorite and Neisson?
If the label is repaired would you recommend this rum to a friend?
I think you've missed the point entirely. My purpose for attending this forum is to share my experiences with other rum enthusiasts and at the same time learn as much as I can. That would include learning an honest answer to an honest question.

To clarify something, I found the product interesting, it wasn't a glass of cognac, but I buy brandy if I want to drink brandy + I don't have any special lamp to hold products up to.

Would I recommend the product to others. That depends entirely on what I perceive the friend's tastes or intentions to be. Many of my friends tend to gravitate towards sweeter molasses based rums and haven't developed the sort of appreciation for the straight to the cane characteristics of agricole. Barbancourt is about as far in that direction they swing.

Again to reiterate, it wasn't the product that sort of soured my outlook. This is simply advice from an old dog throwing a bone. Ignoring and talking around that sort of question as if it went unheard or is irrelevant can create a perception far more damaging than "whether or not the product tastes exceptional" or "what about the sticker and initials on the label being corrected." I hope you understand my point - it comes with absolutely no offense intended.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #23
Rum Runner

Rhums vieux et agricoles de la Martinique

Under this title they (Martayrol) had previously displayed "Martinique Agricole Blanc y Brun- Chauffe Coeur"

I believe I read somewhere the Santa Marita des Sargasses may come from Guadeloupe

Below is a copy of my email to Christine.

Dear Christine. Your friend Mark gave me your email and suggested I contact you directly. I am a member of the Ministry of Rum forum and have been following the discussion regarding the labeling of the Chauffe Coeur rums. Mark informed me that you have provided documentation supporting the AOC provenance of the rums to Ed. May I impose upon you share the same documents with me for my edification?

Best regards to you and yours over the holidays,

Last edited by Rum Runner; 12-21-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #24
Mark

RR - I never implied that Christine provided documentation supporting the AOC provenance of her rhums to Ed. I wrote that she provided Ed with what documentation she had.

Mat - So you found the Chauffe Coeur rhums "interesting" and that they taste "exceptional"? Is that what you're sharing with the other rum enthusiasts?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #25
Rum Runner

All Rums Chauffe Coeur sold in the US are always accompanied by the Certificate of Origin Martinique Agricole;

If the document does not show AOC provenance I wonder what it does show?

An e-mail to Christine will result in all legal documents being provided for the suspicious consumer. There are strict French laws regarding AOC's and all doubt should be removed.

Forgive me If I thought you implied the legal documents might be regarding AOC provenance

Last edited by Rum Runner; 12-21-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #26
Mark

RR - I hope you find out. By the by did you provide her with your private personal e-mail? I wish you would.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #27
Rum Runner

I emailed her from my personal email account.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #28
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Here is a copy of the certificate sent me by the importer. She tried to attach it to her first message but it didn't work for her. I have a lot to say about this thread and will be editing this post as soon as time permits.

Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #29
Rum Runner

Thanks for posting the document Ed. After carefull reading my conclusion is that this is really not much more than a bill of lading stamped by a clerk in the Paris Chamber of Commerce office. I'll be generous and take it on face value that the product comes from Martinique (though there is no supporting evidence for that, other than they say it is). That Martayrol describes the product as "Rhum Agricole" does not mean it is. Martayrol is well aware of the documentation needed from the INAO to claim or imply AOC status. This document does nothing to support any claim or inferrence to AOC in any legal way. Martayrol is also well aware that no "Apellation Rhum Controlee" exists.

If Christine has been led to believe that this document carries any legal weight with regards to AOC, she has been sadly duped.

To be honest I think Martayrol has purposely tried to pull the wool over the eyes of the American public and ride on the coat-tails of their brethrens AOC. Their feet should be held to the fire for this. For the time being I'll give Christine the benefit of the doubt, and choose to believe that she is not complicit in this ruse. Rather that she has been mis-informed and/or mis-led as others have apparently been.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 12-21-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #30
Milicent

"I have a lot to say about this thread and will be editing this post as soon as time permits." Ed Hamilton

Just like a trainwreck, the developments on this thread has been hard to avoid. I'll be interested to hear Ed's comments.

Ed has done a great job with this site. In addition to its creation, he has always managed to maintain a good spirit. The vast majority of regular posters are good folks, considerate, and just interested in sharing their rum stories and experiences. I am grateful to Ed, this site, and the people who had made it what it is. Thank you one and all.
Milicent is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole