MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

14 years ago in 2000, the Uitvlugt Distillery in Guyana closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #31
Card Player

LDI, bought out by MGP ingredients, makes straight rye for Bulleit straigth rye, and has 95% rye in mashbill. Bulleit bourbon (to be called bourbon must contain atleast 51% corn), is distilled by Four Roses in KY and purchased by Diageo.
Card Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #32
Rutherford H Mountbatten

Bulleit rye (and the other ryes from this distillery -- Willet ryes, George Dickel Rye, etc) is fantastic liquor, but not for the weak of heart. I've always wondered how this would end up tasting if the distillate were aged in used barrels in the Caribbean, like rum is.
Rutherford H Mountbatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
wouter S

when we talk about whiskey than i have to say that my favourits are
1 Elijah Craig 12 jr. 94 proof is 47% alc.vol
2 Four Roses single barrel 100 proof is 50% alc.vol.
wouter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #34
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherford H Mountbatten View Post
Wild Turkey is really the only major US distillery that has had its quality slip noticeably over the years, and a large portion of that slip is because the glut is over and the whiskey that used to go into WT 101 is now going into Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, and the like. There have been some dropped age statements with other distilleries (Evan Williams, Old Weller) but overall, American Whiskey is in great shape.

Barton has been stepping their game up with VOB staying solid and 1792 RR filling a higher shelf opening, Beam has had an increase in quality and released their small batch (in addition to Old Granddad being amazing), Brown-Forman has kept Old Forrester strong and release Woodford Reserve (although Jack Daniel's is still boring), Buffalo Trace is generally recognized as improving in quality, Four Roses has returned to selling to the US with amazingly balanced whiskey, Heaven Hill has a great lineup with great value, Maker's is the same it has always been, and the old Seagram's plant in Indiana has produced some of the most expressive Rye seen in years.
Not to rehash old stuff but I think this is slightly more optimistic than I'd declare the climate. Maker's recent scare with the announcement of their (now reversed) plan to lower the proof is the latest in a series of indicators there's stability issues lurking.

Heaven Hill discontinued Elijah Craig 18 *indefinitely*, & they did so very quietly in the night. As you've correctly indicated Old Weller Antique will no longer guarantee the 7 year age mark.

The Trace is allegedly planning to introduce a George T. Stagg "Jr." too. I'll try to be optimistic but I suspect that's going to be whiskey they believe is better sold "as is", un-cut because it probably won't fit anywhere in their line-up if cut. With surging interest in anything barrel strength & the name Stagg to boot, it's a slick idea but I would wonder if behind it was the likelihood BT is sitting on whiskey they aren't convinced is movable at 90º. jmho
Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #35
Barlee

Default Red Stag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumncoke View Post
I know its a Rum forum but there must be a few Whisky lovers here

Over Christmas I gave the Rum a bit of a break and tried out a few Whisky's...have never been a massive whisky fan until now but just fancied trying some!

I bought the following:
Bulleit Bourbon
Old Grand Dad 100 Proof
Knob Creek 9yo
Maker's Mark
Wild Turkey 101
Glenmorangie 4 pack (Original, Lasanta 12, Quinta Ruban 12, Nectar d'Or 12)
Laphroaig 10yo
Talisker

Out of the above I enjoyed pretty much all of them except the Laphroaig and Talisker. Just too peaty for my taste. (I haven't finished them all either!!! Just a few shots of each!!!)

Really enjoyed the Glenmorangie's (will be getting a couple full bottles later this year!) and my favourites were probably Knob Creek and Old Grand Dad....its strong though!!

I'm now after a one or two Jack Daniels or Jim Beam to add to the collection, was thinking the following:

Jim Beam Honey

Jim Beam Red Stag

Jack Daniels Honey

Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Has anybody tried the 4 above? Any others to consider around the £30 mark?

Cheers, Dave
I have the bourbons you mentioned. Not the whiskys. My wife likes Red Stag, I'm not crazy about it. Haven't tried the other 'flavoured' ones.
Barlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #36
Rumncoke

Just thought I'd add to this as I've bought a couple more to try this week!

I've almost finished my JD Singe Barrel, this is probably my favourite so far, really nice!

I've got the following bottles coming:

Blanton's Gold Edition (really looking forward to this one!!)
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1018.aspx

Four Roses Single Barrel
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10251.aspx

Also tried some Southern Comfort Black Cherry which was pretty nice with coke...but horrible without! I couldn't get on with Wild Turkey so my neighbours had that one, but like all the other bourbons I've tried...the Scotch and Irish Whiskeys I really cant get on with! Definitely prefer the American kit
Rumncoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
Card Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumncoke View Post
Just thought I'd add to this as I've bought a couple more to try this week!

I've almost finished my JD Singe Barrel, this is probably my favourite so far, really nice!

I've got the following bottles coming:

Blanton's Gold Edition (really looking forward to this one!!)
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1018.aspx

Four Roses Single Barrel
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10251.aspx

Also tried some Southern Comfort Black Cherry which was pretty nice with coke...but horrible without! I couldn't get on with Wild Turkey so my neighbours had that one, but like all the other bourbons I've tried...the Scotch and Irish Whiskeys I really cant get on with! Definitely prefer the American kit
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel is one of my favourites too...it tastes nothing like the Old #7. Profile varies barrel to barrel; I have had them rich and bold, but also delicate and elegant. I have had Blanton's Original...great stuff...never tried the Gold yet. Four Roses Single Barrel has a high rye content, and is quite spicy.

You don't like Irish? Have you tried pure potstill types like Redbreast 12yr or Green Spot? I have not came across anyone who didn't like Redbreast 12yr.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #38
sailor22

If you like Basil Hayden but want a little more flavor and spirit try Old Grand Dad 100proof Bottled in Bond. Both are manufactured by Beam. The Hayden is Old Grand Dad cut to 80 proof and with a couple years more in the barrel, a fancy label and a much bigger price tag.

If you like Bulliet Bourbon be sure and try 4 Roses Yellow Label, it's the same whiskey at a lower proof. Regardless of the fiction printed on the Bulliet promos they buy their whiskey from 4Roses and bottle it with a different label and a higher price tag.

A couple that haven't been mentioned but are great sippers;
Elmer T. Lee (Made by Buffalo Trace)
4 Roses Small Batch (Made by 4 Roses)
Weller 12 year (Made by Buffalo Trace)

With Bourbon "smooth" isn't always the goal the way it seems to be with a lot of Rum drinkers. A little heat and sharp spice (from the barrel, not as an additive) is appreciated for the way it balances the basic sweetness of the corn based spirit.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
Card Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
If you like Bulliet Bourbon be sure and try 4 Roses Yellow Label, it's the same whiskey at a lower proof. Regardless of the fiction printed on the Bulliet promos they buy their whiskey from 4Roses and bottle it with a different label and a higher price tag.
Are you sure about this Sailor22? Yes..Diageo purchases Bourbon from Four Roses to make Bulleit. Year ago Jim Rutledge confirmed that Bulleit Bourbon is created at the Four Roses distillery and uses two of their recipes, with both the 35% and the 20% rye mashbills. And I read on the site at one time the mass produced yellow label uses all 10 recipes in different percentage.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #40
sailor22

I can't say who told me but I will say it's an very knowledgable source.

Try them in a side by side and draw your own conclusions.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions