MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 1999, Prichards' Distillery, Inc was established in Kelso, Tennessee.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
DJ Mal

I've experimented with different rums as well and I do agree that Goslings Black Seal is the best. I like lemon rather than lime in my Dark and Stormys. I've also been making Spicy and Stormys, New Orleans Cajun Spiced Rum with ginger beer.
DJ Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Sylbaris

Default Regatta Ginger Beer Rocks!

As a mixologist, I have experimented with a lot of different ginger beers to compliment my signature cocktails. I have discovered Regatta to be the best of the bunch for cocktails or just plain sipping over ice. Try it!
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
beez

Regatta, ok cool I'll look into it - thanks!

Just found a local place that carries Barritt's in bottles so I'm gonna pick up a pack or two tonight. for any Chicagoans it's the Binny's on Clark (but not the one in Lincoln Park).

as for the lemon thing, hmmmm i just don't know about that. really like the lime but if i feel crazy maybe i'll try it.

edit:
just found this review of Regatta, which sounds pretty good but it may not have the intense ginger kick that i love about Fever-Tree and a few others. the best part of this review is that he mentions one i haven't heard of: Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale by Bruce Cost. looks very interesting. just found a boutique market near me that stocks it so i'll have to go check that out tonight too. i think it's gonna be a fun night.
beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
DJ Mal

as for the lemon thing, hmmmm i just don't know about that. really like the lime but if i feel crazy maybe i'll try it.

About 12 years ago I was working in the cigar business. I was hosting an event with some liquor reps, one of which was Goslings. He was serving Dark n Stormys in cups with the Goslings logo on one side and the Dark n Stormy recipe on the other. That recipe called for lemon, so thats the way I've always made them. I like them with lime as well but like them better with lemon. Maybe its just because I've made them that way for so long.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
DJ Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbaris View Post
As a mixologist, I have experimented with a lot of different ginger beers to compliment my signature cocktails. I have discovered Regatta to be the best of the bunch for cocktails or just plain sipping over ice. Try it!
How much do you pay for the Regatta? I found here $9 for a six pack of 8oz cans, so very pricey here.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
beez

Default Gosling's is IT!

Just thought I'd update this as I've tried some more, including Barritt's in bottles, Bruce Cost, and Regatta. I even shelled out for some more Fever Tree. And the winner is: Gosling's! Maybe my palate just got used to it since that's mostly what I've used since the summer but I find it the most neutral and the best match for Gosling's Black Seal in a D&S. All the others seem to have some other flavors going on, be it citrus, honey, pineapple, whatever. And every time I go back to the Gosling's it's like "Ahhhhhh yes."

My only beef is I wish it had a bit more of a gingery bite. So short of making my own ginger syrup, which I have done, it's gonna be Goslings' for a quick and yummy D&S. Thanks to all for the fun discussion!
beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #17
mahmud58

I will go with Barrits....
mahmud58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
andyman

Default Bundeberg

I'm a big fan of the Bundaberg as well. Made with cane sugar and not as much ginger "bite" as some of the others. I like to use Coruba and add a float of the Cruzan Blackstrap for a little of the funk that it brings.
andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #19
Echewta

Its not that difficult to make your own. You can play with the amount of ginger/sugar you want to find what works on your palate or even better, find the perfect balance for your particular choice in rum.
Echewta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #20
Phaserburn

If you want more of a ginger bite in your D&S, try adding a little Domain de Canton ginger liqueur. It's truly delicious. It's called a dark and stormier.
Phaserburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses