MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

265 years ago in 1749, J. Wray & Nephew Limited was established on Jamaica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Barolojoe

´

Quote:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Blanton....

Over the years there were quite a few different editions of Blanton's available. Some time ago, I bought one in Germany called 'Single Barrel Silver Edition', no age statement, 49 %:

http://www.spirituosentheke.de/whisk...r-edition.html

It was worth the 38 bucks, but meanwhile this special Lot is sold out and I don't know if recent bottlings are similar suitable.

From the same distillery I've also drunk the Elmer T. Lee brand in the past - Black Label, 45 %.

This was recommendable too and also available below 40 Euros.
Now the bottle & label has changed (it's still at 45 %), and I haven't tried it since then.

Judging by the quality and the price - Elijah Craig 12 years for 20 Euro is still unbeatable for me....

´

Last edited by Barolojoe; 01-20-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Barolojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
DJ Mal

Elijah Craig 12 yr is my go to bourbon. You're right, can't beat the quality for that price. $23 US for me here. I'll throw in Ancient Ancient Age 10yr as a great bourbon for the value as well. EC Old Fashions for tonights tipple to help keep warm as the temp dips to 6F tonight.
DJ Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #23
Barolojoe

´

Elijah Craig is furthermore a good example of how a Whisk(e)y benefits not necessarily from additional aging.

There are differences between various lots, of course. Though those two bottles of Elijah Craig 18 years (which costs more than twice as much) I've drunk in the past, were not very convincing for me: too woody, too astringent, not so well balanced as the 12 year old.

It would be interesting to taste this brand even a little younger - after 8 or 10 years in the cask....

´
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Card Player

How a whisky benefits from age depends on the climate it's in. Bourbon from KY, USA has big temperature flutuations, causing the whisky to get pulled into the wood and pushed out of the wood. 12 yo bourbon is very mature for a bourbon, but not so much for a scotch. Booker Noe years ago from Jim Beam liked his bourbon between 6-8yo, uncut, unfiltered, like Booker's bourbon is still made today. Standard Buffalo Trace with no age statement ages their bourbon 8 years. Bulleit bourbon (distilled by Four Roses) is around 8 years too. Buffalo Trace's "Pappy Van Winkle" line is wheated bourbon, and aged upto 23 years. PVW 23 is very high in demand, tough to get and very expensive. Many rave about it, I haven't had it (the Old Rip Van Winkle 12yo is the oldest I've had, and it's great)
Card Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #25
Rumncoke

Well....I found a bottle of JD Honey in the local Nisa garage for £19.99...so 6 quid cheaper than tesco! Gave it a shot....uchavii!!!! God it's disgusting straight!! Pretty nice with Coke though so not all bad news!

I think my favourite bourbon so far with coke is Bulleit Bourbon. Very nice

Followed closely by Old Grandad (but 3 glasses ruins me)
Rumncoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #26
Barolojoe

´

Quote:

12 yo Bourbon is very mature for a Bourbon, but not so much for a Scotch....

Of course, casks in Kentucky ripen faster than in the Scottish Highlands.

Nonetheless, two of the best Single Malts for me are still old bottles of Aberlour & Glendronach - bottled in the early seventies after eight years in the cask; fruitier & heavier than any 18, 21, or 25 year old Scotch of today.

Because and as already written: due to the much longer distilling times in the fifties & sixties, the spirit was already softer (and often oilier & more full-bodied) before it went into the cask.

Below some pictures. You can still find the fabulous old stuff in auctions from time to time - in general between 150 to 200 Euro per bottle. Happy hunting....

http://u.jimdo.com/www12/o/sfa4e79d1...t-may-2010.jpg

http://onversneden.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=188&h=300

http://www.whisky.de/uploads/tx_mmfo...fed87e9ade.jpg

Last edited by Barolojoe; 01-23-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #27
Rob L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
Not meaning to hijack your thread but here is a video from Ralphy about what whisky drinkers think of rum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71biqOEwew
Thanks for sharing that.
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
Card Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
Will be going on holiday this June (no suprise there) and if I can't pick up a decent rum in duty free I wouldn't mind doing a nice Bourbon for a change.

Can any one tell what Woodford Reserve is like.
It's a bourbon on the lower end, not too special. Some like it because it is a bit different profile than many of the others in the same price range.

Blanton's Straight From The Barrel, is said to only be available in duty-free markets. That would probably be my pick. If I couldn't get that, maybe a wheated bourbon like Old Rip VanWinkle 10 or 12 would be nice.
Card Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #29
ass-assassin

Just came back from a trip and managed to get some new Whiskys at Duty Free. Picked up 3 bourbons (Basil Hayden's, Baker's and Booker's), 1 scotch (Laphroaig QC) and 1 Canadian (Wiser's 18.) I've only tried 2 of them so far but here's my impressions:

Basil Hayden's: A very light bourbon, but very tasty. Probably good as a summer sipper. I was very impressed with it. Someone wanting more of a kick to their bourbon would be disappointed. Recommended as long as you know what to expect.

Laphroaig: My first Islay (in fact the first single malt bottle I've ever bought, although I've tasted a bunch of others) and so far I love it. I've always tended to like more extreme flavor profiles. Really smokey, smells like a campfire. I imagine it would pair well with smokey food such as lamb. Highly recommended, although for some the smoke will probably be too much.

I'm no whisky expect, just a relatively new enthusiast, so please take my impressions with a grain of salt.
ass-assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Do you work for Diageo? Guiness, Irish Whiskey and Bullet, actually it's Bulleit Rye from Indiana. Who knew all those high rye bourbons came from Indiana?
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions