MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

119 years ago in 1895, Destilerias Arehucas, S.A. was establihsed in the Canary Islands.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIsurfer View Post
Does Plantation Grande Reserve do tours?
Plantation is produced by Cognac Ferrand from France. They don't have any installations overseas.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Berbician

Default Grenada (overproof rums)

Mikey,

Unless things have changed since my last visit, you can take any rum on board an aircraft providing it's no stronger than 70% alcohol by volume. Quite a few of the overproof rums are 69% or 70% alcohol by volume and are therefore OK. There are many notices, at the airport, setting out the regulations as to what you can and can't take on board. These are adhered to very strictly and luggage is searched thouroughly.

The best rums in Grenada are not the overproofs but normal strength (43% alcohol by volume) rums. The two best ones are Westerhall Plantation and Clarke's Court Old Grog. Both are outstanding.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Mikeycanuk

You are probably right, I just read that on a Grenada blog somewhere years ago. I was planning on going down to Grenada next year but had such a good time on Salt Cay last week that we will be going back for the foreseeable future.

Check this out:
http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/tip/rumfactory/index.htm

I just did some more research and it's anything over 70% ABV is prohibited. Why you'd want that anyway is beyond me.

I do have a funny story on Salt Cay where the local fire captain (not a busy job on an island of 100 permanent residents) burned down his golf cart. He's a drunk to start and the current story was he was heavy into the Haitian moonshine and the container was leaking. Right below the seat on the cart is the muffler and we were told thankfully he wasn't sitting in it or he probably would not have been in any condition to get out in time. The packs of condoms were still sitting in the ashes (they survived!?!? -we got pics), he was planning a party that night! They can't fire him (island politics and all) so they limit his duties.
Mikeycanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
JIsurfer

How are customs in Barbados? I'm not smuggling anything illegal, just curious, because the customs in the Bahamas were slack. They asked if we had anything, I told them some Bahamian rum, and they left it at that.
JIsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Mikeycanuk

Barbados, like Turks and Caicos are essentially told to leave the tourists alone. Locals however.....

I've taken meat into Barbados (twice) and I didn't declare it as I didn't feel like paying for an import permit I had to buy who-knows how long in advance. Neither in Turks either. There there is a separate line where I assume they take apart your luggage or charge you $ or probably both. Didn't get time to closely check, I was past the customs lady taking the forms in about 20seconds. Caymans I declared the meat as the there was a small chance of paying import taxes. All the agent asked me if everything was still in a store bought wrapping. I said yes (everything was individually wrapped and priced) and off we went went no $ paid.
Mikeycanuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions