MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

224 years ago in 1790, J. M was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #641
Rob L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ass-assassin View Post
I picked up a bottle of El Dorado 12 and 15 to go with my bottle of 21. I haven't tried any of them yet but I'm hoping to sit down one evening and give all three a try.

Just an FYI to anyone who travels by car from Canada to the USA. If there is a duty free shop that carries El Dorado rum, you can save a bundle. I bought my ED rums for $23.99, $29.99 and $58.99 for the 12, 15, and 21 respectively. In total that's around what a bottle of 21 costs at the LCBO.

Unfortunately, unlike Appleton rums, not every duty free shop carries ED. I can confirm that the Sarnia (Blue Water Bridge) and Niagara (Peace Bridge) ones do.
How long did you have to be over the border to do that?
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #642
Tabuzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
On the advice from some good people here, I bought a bottle of Doorly's XO as a nice "middle" rum. My plan is to take it to a New Years party and whip up some Old Fashioneds with it for anyone interested. Of course I'll sample it neat first.

Outside of these forums, I've also heard some nice things. In fact, I can't really find a bad review anywhere so I'm rather looking forward to Monday.
I'm a big fan of the Doorly's XO. I have not tried making an old fashioned with it yet, but I can tell you that it makes an over the top great daiquiri. It is also a natural in a Corn 'n Oil - good with the John Taylor falernum - best with home brew falernum.

Cheers!

Last edited by Tabuzak; 12-29-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Tabuzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #643
Rob L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabuzak View Post
I'm a big fan of the Doorly's XO. I have not tried making an old fashioned with it yet, but I can tell you that it males an over the top great daiquiri. It is also a natural in a Corn 'n Oil - good with the John Taylor falernum - best with home brew falernum.

Cheers!
Huh. I hadn't heard of a Corn 'n Oil so I had to look it up. Seems dead easy and rather tasty. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #644
ass-assassin

Quote:
How long did you have to be over the border to do that?
The official rule is that after 48 hours, each person over 19 is entitled to bring one bottle (up to 1.14L) home with them.

I typically go up to visit family in Michigan and I'm there around 36-40 hours. I just tell them what I bought and I have never been stopped and asked to pay duties. There have been several times that I have been way over (bought a bunch of beer and liquor for a party) and they still didn't bother to charge me.

If you are just going for a few hours, then you can just declare the bottles and worst case scenario pay the duties, which will still end up being cheaper than buying at the LCBO. Otherwise, I suppose you could take a risk and try to hide the bottles, but keep in mind if you are caught your bottles will likely be confiscated.
ass-assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #645
Rob L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ass-assassin View Post
The official rule is that after 48 hours, each person over 19 is entitled to bring one bottle (up to 1.14L) home with them.

I typically go up to visit family in Michigan and I'm there around 36-40 hours. I just tell them what I bought and I have never been stopped and asked to pay duties. There have been several times that I have been way over (bought a bunch of beer and liquor for a party) and they still didn't bother to charge me.

If you are just going for a few hours, then you can just declare the bottles and worst case scenario pay the duties, which will still end up being cheaper than buying at the LCBO. Otherwise, I suppose you could take a risk and try to hide the bottles, but keep in mind if you are caught your bottles will likely be confiscated.
Okay. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #646
Rob L

Alright. Likely my very last purchase for several weeks - Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva. This is another I've yet to sample. Not sure when I'll crack it open but it was the last one available at my local so I seized the opportunity.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #647
RichieZ

Dos Maderas PX 5+5 and DonQ Gran Anejo, cheers to the New Year!
RichieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #648
Tabuzak

Quote:
Huh. I hadn't heard of a Corn 'n Oil so I had to look it up. Seems dead easy and rather tasty. Thanks!
Hi Rob,

Just made the Doorly's XO old fashioned and loving it. Thanks for the idea.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Jack
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #649
Rob L

Hey Jack... Glad you enjoyed. I kind of overjoyed... One kind of tasted like another if you know what I mean... Happy New Year to you!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #650
Mikeycanuk

Never did get a corn'n'oil in Barbados.

Downed a bottle of Bambarra last week in Salt Cay, ordered a 375ml but got a 750ml. Yummy! Picked up a 375 DonQ a few days ago in Provo and it's gone. Why somehow I think we won't a finish a full bottle on vacation is beyond me....
Mikeycanuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions