MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

84 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Polls
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls

What do you think, confidentially of course?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Brian Steele

Default Light Gold or Spiced ????

I am currently producing rum in the Dominican Republic and about to start exporting it to the U.S. I am trying to decide what to start with a Silver, Gold or Spiced Rum I am looking to be sold in Restraunts and Liquor stores but If I start with a Spiced Rum the Competition is so bad with the Captain Morgans do you think starting with a spiced rum is a bad idea for restraunts and good for liquor stores or just start with a silver or gold, sorry for the scatter brain post but tell me what you think regards
Brian
Brian Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
TheRumelier

My personal opinion is to go with a gold/amber rum of some age. Spiced rum drinkers tend to stick to Capt. Morgan. However, white is usually cheaper to produce, but people are not willing to pay a great deal of money for it. People will pay more for a good aged rum, obviously the older it is the more they are willing to pay. There are plenty of new rums coming out of the DR right now, so you will need to have a good rum and a good original concept and marketing plan.
I will volunteer to be the official taster if you need one!!
Good luck on on this project and please let us know how it develops.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Brian Steele

Default light gold or spiced

I completly agree with you on the spiced and silver aspect there is no way to compete with captain morgan basically I think I am going to start with a Gold but a very well aged gold that tastes spiced, also as far as the Silver I agree it is cheaper and I think it is usually just used for mixed drinks but it may be a good addition to my beginning portfolio, to add to my ramble I am a a lover of spiced rum so I am excited of producing it but you are right how can I compete but its a dream but i dont want a costly mistake
thanks and when its ready a bottle comming your way
Brian Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Considering that the best white rums are aged and then carbon-filtered to remove the color gained during the aging process, a good white rum costs more, not less, than a good gold rum to produce.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Hours of Wealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
My personal opinion is to go with a gold/amber rum of some age. Spiced rum drinkers tend to stick to Capt. Morgan. However, white is usually cheaper to produce, but people are not willing to pay a great deal of money for it. People will pay more for a good aged rum, obviously the older it is the more they are willing to pay. There are plenty of new rums coming out of the DR right now, so you will need to have a good rum and a good original concept and marketing plan.
i agree, i cannot stand captain morgan spiced, but i can find so few spiced rums, sailor jerry's is great however (well, by comparison)
Hours of Wealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
young0076

The only Captain Morgan I like is the Private Stock, especially when I have a sweet tooth. Sailor Jerry is good when I need to warm my insides up, that higher proof hits the spot quick. I personally am partial to the spiced and gold rums. I really haven't tried many clear rums, but I am working in that direction.

I am a fellow Floridan and will second what The Rumlier said, and will be a taster for you. I am in a Military Community and have quite a few cookouts with lots of Spirits, and could definately hold a tasting event for you with alot of people from all over the country with different taste buds.

I do hope things go good for you.............Good Luck.

young0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
chad3

Sorry for an old post:
I, from what I have tasted, hate spiced rum. Really can't drink it. Buddy likes sailor Jerry's plenty, I haven't tried it.
Go dark, I'm also pretty interested in a Goslings type dark sweet but with more "age". I haven't tasted the old rum from them, but interested.
Chad
chad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
thrall

I personally like the gold/amber rums. Spiced rums dont do much for me... and i think that the CM rum is just .....there so people drink it. If i was looking for a new and different rum....the spiced section of the rums would not be it...

What is your target audience? If you are trying to make in roads into the restaurant/bar industry...try and start with a moderately priced rum...Figure out a drink recipe...and make it a signature drink.

From personal preferences...packaging is VERY important....I like heavier bottles..... I like black labels with gold or red writing...I prefer rounder bottles...

BUT..if you were to go with something like the old rum bottles....the onion shape of old......that would catch my eye right off!...
Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Skulman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
I am currently producing rum in the Dominican Republic and about to start exporting it to the U.S. I am trying to decide what to start with a Silver, Gold or Spiced Rum I am looking to be sold in Restraunts and Liquor stores but If I start with a Spiced Rum the Competition is so bad with the Captain Morgans do you think starting with a spiced rum is a bad idea for restraunts and good for liquor stores or just start with a silver or gold, sorry for the scatter brain post but tell me what you think regards
Brian
WELL? Did it happen? What did you make and what is it called?
Skulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
wouter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
I agree ,the aged rums are (7yrs or older) better and so i am willing to pay more for an aged rum. As an example Havana Club 7yr old is much smoother
and more tastefull than Havana Club especial, wich is fine.
The golden or more amber color rums has usually more taste than the white
rums.
wouter S is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Polls