MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

77 years ago in 1937, Grenada Sugar Factory was established on Grenada.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Justin1987

Default Help with good sipper

Hey guys, I been drinking rum for a while now mainly as mixed drinks. I decided to start drinking a few straight and am now looking for a few rums to choose to sip. I Have tried Admiral Nelson, Bacardi Gold, Captain Morgan, Captain Morgan Tattoo, Captain Morgan Black Label, Meyer's, and Sailor Jerry's. My favorite of those are Captain Morgan Black label and Admiral Nelson. I found a few i want to try but was wanting some help deciding. I am looking for a rum that is kinda sweet maybe a lil vanilla and nutty taste. I dont want it to taste like whiskey. I want it to go down smooth and something im going to really enjoy and wow me without breaking the bank. Heres a list of a few im available to get.

Ron Matusalem Gran Res.
Diplomatico Anejo Rum
Zaya Gran
Cruzan Single Barrel
Mount Gay Extra Old
Plantation XO 20th Ann.
Ron Abuelo 12 year
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
Appleton Estate 12 year

I am having a tough time deciding.Any ideas and opinions would be very helpful thank you
Justin1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Berbician

Cruzan Single Barrel and Mount Gay Extra Old are both very good. Have you considered El Dorado 15 year old? Slightly more expensive than the Mount Gay Extra Old but even better.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Rob L

I started my dark rum journey with MGXO. There are better rums out there (but much, much more worse ones too.) A couple of the better ones may be available to you but for me, the MGXO sets the standard as to what a sophisticated sipping rum should taste like and is priced well. I think I'm luck to have started with this one. I have it hard-wired into my brain and use it as my benchmark when sampling others... Is it < or > worse then? and so on...
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Justin1987

thanks for the replies. Ill probably end up getting the MGXO its 37.99 is that a good price? i can get the plantation X0 for like 32. Does the MGXO have a big bite or afterburn?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Justin1987

Ive also read a few reviews that mount gay XO tastes like bourbon or whiskey. I dont really want it to taste like that at all. Im not a fan of bourbon or whiskey. I kinda just want one that goes down smooth and tastes a little sweet. Im just curious before i spend about 40 dollars on a bottle that might taste like my least favorite liquor.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Rob L

FWIW, I like the ED12 as much if not more than the MGXO and it's slightly less expensive too. - But that's the thing, you need a place to start to make these kind of assessments on your own. - It's all part of the fun. To answer your other question, no, I find the MGXO very smooth and I don't get a "burn" from it. If you like, add a teaspoon of water or ice but nothing more. Regarding the "bourbon" flavour, even though it's aged in bourbon barrels, you'll know from the outset that what you are sipping is vastly different than whiskey... I wouldn't worry about that at all.... The Appleton Extra may be a good place to start too if it's available to you.

Last edited by Rob L; 12-25-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
Justin1987

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I am gonna start with the eldorado. it is 13 dollars cheaper and i have read alot of good things as well as MGXO. Why did they age them in Whiskey barrels? Is there a reason or did they just do it to try something different? If i end up liking the el dorado then ill probably get the MGXO and if not back to the hunt.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Justin1987

Well guys after a long debate i made up my mind and am ordering Ron Botran Reserva Anejo and Mount Gay Eclipse. 2 bottles for 37 bucks isnt too bad. Im sure its gonna taste alot better than that captain too haha. well thanks ill let you guys know when I try them how i feel about them
Old 12-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
SeldomSeen

Those 2 aren't sippers in my book. I hope your not disappointed. From your description of flavor profiles your looking for, I think you'd be happiest with the Zaya which is a good entry level sipper. Sweet, smooth, and vanilla (over the top with the vanilla for some of us) but a good place to start. Then graduate into the Diplomatico Exclusiva and the Plantation XO.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Justin1987

Thank you for that info! i have not went and got those 2 yet! Everyone has a different opinion it seems like gets a little confusing. I guess the only way is to try them. Zaya is pretty cheap 25 a bottle. 3 dollars higher than captain morgan black. I will give it a go. Its got to be better than that. I like the captain black but i dont think its a sipper. probably more for mixed drinks. However for the high proof and smooth taste not too bad on the rocks. If I drink it warm it has a long afterburn. Some people may like that but its not for me. I want something that i can enjoy and goes down smooth and tastes really good. Theres so many choices but i have to drive over an hour to get any of these thats why it is hard for me too. My local stores only carry admiral,bacardi,kracken,captain,cruzan (only flavored). There is also about 15-20 bars around here within a 10 mile radius. I have been to most of them and the rums ive mentioned is all they got excluding kracken. so cant try none there. Pretty depressing for bars if you ask me. I throw for a dart league and ive gotten to the point to where when i go to the bars i just get a mountain dew or a pepsi because im upset with them. 3.50 for bacardi silver and coke. or you can spend 5 to get a captain and coke or shot. ill never pay that. ill buy a bottle first lol. well thanks sorry for the ranting just a lil frustrated how hard it is to get a decent drink around here

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions