MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

119 years ago in 1895, Destilerias Arehucas, S.A. was establihsed in the Canary Islands.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
JIsurfer

Default Barrel aging

Have any of you tried the tiny barrels to age your liquor in? I recently got one from my uncle, figured I would put it to a tough test, to make Old Crow better. Yeah, I know it's not rum, but you could also age a young or inferior rum. Anyway, after around three weeks, I poured some out to compare the aged to the regular. I was amazed at the difference in only 3 weeks. The color was definitely darker, nose had more depth and complexity, and the taste was much smoother. I'm probably going to continue to age it for a while longer to see what happens.

If anybody has done this, how has it worked out for you?
JIsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
JIsurfer

http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/

There's a link to the site, it looks like they also do bigger barrels than the one I have.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Sniss

I bought a 1litre Oak Barrel from Master of Malt earlier in the year. I first aged some vodka in it so as not to overpower the first rum I put in it. The Vodka was in there for exactly 2 months and it developed a lovely smoky flavour to it and made a very cheap vodka surprisingly sippable.

At the moment the barrel contains some El Dorado 3yo which has been in the barrel for 1 month and i'm planning on leaving it for at least another 2 before opening it up again, i'll let you know how it goes!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
JIsurfer

Great, I might have to buy another one, start aging some cheap rum. We can get Cohiba rum here, yeah, it's a copyright infringement on he real Cohiba, for $8 a bottle. It's ok for mixing, but a bit harsh to sip on. A while in a barrel might help it out.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct

Thanks JISurfer! Had never thought about aging my own rum and had no idea where barrels could be bought. 1000oaksbarrel.com is a fun site with a sense of humor.
I just ordered my first barrel to try "oaking" rum. Looking forward to experimentation, and even if it all fails I still have a cool barrel on a wrought-iron stand filled with rum. Nice conversation piece, anyway.

My first experiment will be with Cruzan. If I read the label correctly, their "aged dark rum" went from being aged 2+ years, to being aged only 1, and I've noticed the change. I'll put the Cruzan dark in a barrel for a couple months and see if I can bring back the old flavor.
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Freds

Hello,

I was wondering if you have any advice or suggestions following your experiments with aging rum in your own barrels? I recently received my 1L barrel from Master of Malt (it's currently filled with water to swell out any leaks). I was thinking of using some (very) cheap white rum instead of vodka for the first go, to take the oak hit. Or perhaps use cheap port or sherry instead. This is a little bit cheaper than rum, and might give a bit of flavour. How have you found the rums you've aged? Any tips?

Cheers.
Fred

(ps. I'm new to the forum so apologies if I've missed some etiquette or technical issue)
Freds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Sniss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if you have any advice or suggestions following your experiments with aging rum in your own barrels? I recently received my 1L barrel from Master of Malt (it's currently filled with water to swell out any leaks). I was thinking of using some (very) cheap white rum instead of vodka for the first go, to take the oak hit. Or perhaps use cheap port or sherry instead. This is a little bit cheaper than rum, and might give a bit of flavour. How have you found the rums you've aged? Any tips?

Cheers.
Fred

(ps. I'm new to the forum so apologies if I've missed some etiquette or technical issue)
I started with Vodka in mine (cheap supermarket own brand) and as i'm not a vodka drinker I bottled it up and gave it away as gifts for Christmas which people really seemed to like!

The El Dorado 3 I think I left in for too long, it's a lovely golden colour but the taste is overwhelmingly oakey and it's borderline ruined. After that I made the mistake of leaving it empty for a couple months, so my main tip is don't do that! I went to fill it up again with a blend of rum's i've been working on and it leaked all over my kitchen (lost about 300ml of a 4-rum mix ).

Since then i've re-sealed it (run a few batches of warm water through it and the wood will re-expand and seal watertight again), and i've just now refilled it with Jack Daniels to try and get back to a baseline where I can re-start my rum experiments.

After the JD I think i'll re-try the 4-blend mix, but only leave it in for a maximum of 1 month. Not sure whether it's the size of the barrel but it seems to flavour things really quickly.

If this doesn't work out then my next experiment will be to prime the barrel with Sherry to see if that differs things.

I'm not sure if there is a limited life to these barrels (the masterofmalt website seems to think you'll only get 3-4 fills out of it before losing all flavour from the oak), i'd be interested to know other peoples thoughts on if I need a new barrel.

If I do buy another one I think i'd move up to a 2.5 or 5 Litre one.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:19 AM   #8
JIsurfer

Interesting results. I actually aged Virgina Moonshine in it, after aging Old Crow. Both turned out amazingly. I plan on aging a bottle of Old New Orleans 3 year old, to see how it does.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
TheTroj

A friend gave me 2 4L barrels she no longer wanted. She had kept port in them for about 10 years. I drained them but the port was no longer any good. I put straight ordinary UP rum into it and after 3 months it was sensational. I drained it after 4 months but it was far too oaky for my tastes by then, however I gave a bottle to my father and he thought it was tremendous.

I have had friends that have put chillis and vanilla beans amoung other things in with their rum. It's all about experimenting!

I look forward to hearing some other ideas people have!
TheTroj is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions