MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

367 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Joey Artus

Default Dictador 20 anyone?

Ok, so I got hold of a bottle of Dictador 20 some months ago. I especially liked the more modern design approach of the bottle with its matte black surface and the classy printed logo. The rum however was far from what expectations the bottle raised.

The first whiff presented some anise with an almost rubbery touch, and lots of alcohol. The first sip confirmed the rubbery anise and it had plenty of after burn, it was pretty dry and in my opinion lacked the typical vanilla aroma of an old casked rum. It wasn't what I was hoping for, so it sat on the shelf untouched for quite a while.

Recently I gave it another try, and I'm almost certain that oxidation made it bloom in some strange way, because now it's completely different. It's much softer and the rubbery anise body seem to have subsided - giving it more of a sweet nature with lots of vanilla and rich honey tones. Biased by my first opinion I offered some to a couple of my fellow rumheads, and they just loved it.

Is there anyone else that have had the same experience of the Dictador 20, or any other rum for that matter and if so - which one? I'm curious because I never thought a rum could change its nature this much just from sitting on a shelf... It sort of proves that one can never rely on the first taste of a freshly cracked bottle.
Joey Artus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Ben

Based on my experience when my opinion on a rum changes it's not because the rum itself had changed, it is because my taste has evolved.

The taste may change (a bit) if you let the rum rest an hour just after opening the bottle, but I would doubt oxydation makes a better rum.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Thomas K

I had a bottle of the Dictador 20yr. I liked this rum very much, with some hints of pepper in the beginning ending with some vanilla flavour. Can´t comment anything else.

Also tried the Dictador XO Insolent. If You like it sweet with a dominant caramel note and hints of vanilla, this is the rum to buy. For the ones that are more on the classical cuban, jamaican, or guyana side, you might be dissapointed.
Thomas K is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions

Tags
dictador , oxidation