MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

17 years ago in 1997, Essential Spirits Alambic Distillery was established in Mountain View, California.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default The El Dorado Family of Rums

El Dorado 5 Year Cask Aged Rum

Demerara County (in Guyana) is popular across the world for its rich, three hundred year history of rum production. Using a combination of old wooden stills in conjunction with modern stills and distilling techniques, Demerara Distillers Ltd. (DDL) has built a reputation for outstanding quality and consistent production. DDL is the currently the largest supplier of bulk Caribbean rums to Europe and North America.

Here is an excerpt from my review:

“….instead of tasting like a typically sweet South American Rum, this has more of a Caribbean Island flavour profile with a hint of mildly bitter tobacco resting under the flavours and spices. I taste toasted notes of spicy oak, dry fruits (dates, figs and coconut), as well as a caramelized brown sugar. Although the rum is buttery, it is also slightly dry with a tea like flavour that asserts itself with the dryness…”

You can read the full review here: Review: El Dorado 5 Yr Cask Aged Rum.

As usual I have provided a nice cocktail of my own creation with the Review.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 04-07-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Saxman

Enjoyed the review, as I am a fan of El dorado looks like i'll have to add this to the collection!
Saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Arctic Wolf

Default El Dorado Family of Premium Rums

Over the next few months I will endeavor to review all three of El Dorado’s Premium Rums. The 12 Year, The 15, Year and the 21 Year Old Rums. I shall kick off this series with a review re visitation of El Dorado 12 Year Old Rum. Although I have previously reviewed the 12 year Old I could not resist the chance to open a new bottle and see if my palate has changed. Here is an excepdt from the review:

“…This rum enters my mouth with a spicy sweet baking spice explosion. Deep dark brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, hints of orange peel and citrus fruit lay upon a foundation of spicy wood tannins….”

You may read the rest of the review here:

Review: El Dorado 12 Year Old Rum

Please enjoy this review and the follow up reviews I will be providing for the rest of the El Dorado Premium Rums!

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 04-12-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
RonJames

looking forward to it Arctic. Im interested to compare your notes to the appleton line. These two lines are different and yet they incorporate a lot of older techniques and styles which I love.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Arctic Wolf

Default Review: El Dorado Single Barrel Demerara ICBU Rum

I consider this somewhat of an artisan offering which gives the rum aficionado a glimpse into the particular characteristics of Demerara rum from a particular still, in this case the Savalle Still. Rum from this particular still would normally be blended with many other rums from the other Demerara stills and from other barrels types to construct a quality Demerara blend. The original distillation techniques of the Savalle Still produces a very particular flavour profile, and this review will be a reflection of that particular characteristic flavour profile which the Savalle Still imparts.

Here is an excerpt from the review:

“…The oak is strong, but the sweetness of the brown sugar spices balances the sharpness of the oak and citrus zests. There is no bitter aftertaste to spoil the experience. As well, flavours of caramel, toffee, and vanilla all lie in moderation under the oak spice as does a slightly charred nuttiness, and flavours of toasted coconut….”

You may read the full review here:

Review: El Dorado Single Barrel Demerara ICBU Rum

as well I came up with a nice cocktail which I called called Savalle Row!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Arctic Wolf

Default Review El Dorado 21 year old Special Reserve

The 21-Year-Old Special Reserve Rum is part of a line-up of Luxury Cask Rums which also includes a 12-year-old rum, a 15-year-old rum and a 25-year-old Rum. The age Statement for the rums indicates the minimum age of the rums in the blend. You may read my review by clicking the link below:

Here is a link to the review:

Review: El Dorado 21 year old Special Reserve
Old 03-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Arctic Wolf

Default El Dorado Deluxe Silver 6 Year Aged Rum

This rum is meant not just to compete with the new strain of super premium white rums that have entered the market recently, it is meant to compete head to head with the super premium luxury vodkas which have garnered a good chunk of the market share in the distilled spirits category.

Check out the review here:

Review: El Dorado Deluxe Silver 6 Year Aged Rum
Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Arctic Wolf

Default Rum Expedition and El Dorado 15 Revfiew

I have been invited to join a Rum Expedition to Guyana to visit the Demerara Distillers (DDL) facilities on a four-day trip which would also include two days of touring this tropical country to learn about the history and culture of Guyana. I did a little blurb about it on my blog today which you can check out, here, as well I posted latest Rum review:

Rum Review: El Dorado Special Reserve 15 Year Old Rum
Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Arctic Wolf

Here is a link to an article about my recent Guayanese Adventure. It was published by Margaret Swain who writes for Travel Industry Today and who was another of the invited guests on this journey.

GALLIVANTING IN GUYANA

Margaret really captured the essence of our trip very well and her article is well worth reading.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
Arctic Wolf

Default El Dorado Spiced Rum

During my trip to Guyana, I also was able to taste the entire line of El Dorado rums including the new El Dorado Spiced Rum. In fact at the guest house where I was staying, a full bottle of the El Dorado Spiced (and a few others as well) were left for our small Canadian group to enjoy each evening. I snapped a nice picture of the bottle while I was there and spent a little time gathering some tasting notes.

Review: El Dorado Spiced Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf