MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

521 years ago in 1493, Columbus established the first European colony in the New World on Hispaniola.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
RonJames

Loved it, everything a navy rum should be. AM DIEING TO USE IT IN A GROG!!!! Pot still, not overproof but strong, strong smell and flavor...might just be the best navy rum out there.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #12
Sylbaris

Default Smith & Cross: The new Navy Boss!

Ron:

Just tried this magnificent rum from Haus Alpenz this past week at the NY Ministry of Rum Fest. It is rum candy of the first order, able, willing & ready for any high seas battle of the the bottles. I use to think Pusser's had that niche all wrapped up. Put this stuff in an old world decanter and it will be an instant classic. Age it for a dozen years or more and it will be legendary. Can not wait to find a bottle to go to war with! Long live the John Paul Jones and Horatio Hornblowers of the world!

Chester
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Markahuna

-BUMP-

I just picked up a couple of bottles here in LA at K&L Wines, they stock everything from Haus Alpenz (which makes me a fan)

Wow, I really like this rum. I can't bring myself to make any cocktail with it yet because i like it all by itself. I'm planning on making some navy Grog's this weekend for a party but I will have to experiment first.

Now if HA can pick up an agricole and a demerara this good I could reduce my bar's inventory.

Best
Mark
Markahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Edoc

The odd thing for me is that I've always found Jamaican pot-still rums to be good for mixed drinks only. I've always kept some Appleton 12 yr and VX on hand for cocktails-- they're essential in my book, but not as sippers. Major skronk/funk like Pusser's has always put me off. Smith & Cross woke me up and caused me to re-evaluate pot-stilled rums as more than mixers (similar to how Lagavulin and Laphroaig reset my appreciation of whisky).

Smith & Cross thoroughly cleaned my clock, like a Flannery O'Connor experience; it makes my short list of desert-island rums. If a case washed ashore while marooned on some lonely, god-forsaken coast, I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven.

Last edited by Edoc; 09-02-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Updated to include a Go-Betweens lyric, god bless Grant McLennan
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #15
screamingzenith

Default regarding the blending process

Hi all...

I just began posting on MoR and thought I'd chime in with a question here regarding the manufacturing of Smith & Cross: does anyone know whether the final blending process is done in Jamaica or in Britain?

Thanks!

Eric
screamingzenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
Tiare

I wonder where can people like me not living in the US get a bottle of S&C? the one i got in New Orleans is almost finished and i won´t be back until next summer.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I don't offhand any online stores that ship overseas since shipping alcohol is illegal in a lot of places. Keep your fingers crossed that someone will ship you some.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
redred

Default What is meant by Navy Strength?

Hi Folks, I've just jumped the single malt whisky ship and ventured out on the high seas of rum discovery...

Have tried El Dorado 15... bit sweet for me and Appleton's 8 yo... not bad but have just picked up a bottle of Smith & Cross Jamaican rum at 57% abv... more to my liking and more like a cask strength scotch... anyway could somebody explain the logic behind this Navy Strength 57%?

Replies much appreciated

Many thanks

Matt London
redred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
MAgner

Picked up a bottle last week at Sideberns Fine Wines and Spirits here in Tampa, FL-- associated w Bern's Steakhouse and located at the spinoff "Sideberns" a few blocks away. "S&C Traditional Jamaican Rum, Pure Pot Still, Plummer and Wedderburn". They also carry Cartavio XO. No other rums. They carry 80 or so spirits most of which are not carried by any other local store (AFAIK). A small wall holds the limited choice of spirits: Ethereal Gin #4, 10 or so mezcals and tequilas, 30 or so whiskeys- mostly scotch and some assorted others.

The S&C is quite fierce! As a sipper straight ( mostly nosing it and taking SMALL sips) or a splash of water I find it to be a nice change- GF strongly disagrees. Not yet tried in a Dark and Stormy. In coke I enjoy the change- GF finds it tolerable.

Total Wines had a selection of Berry's from the UK. I think seven different bottlings of rums 7-13 yrs old. Got a bottle of the Grenada Rum 13yr.. Nice sipper- more like a scotch than our usual choices--Diplomatico Rs Ex. or ED 12 or 15yo.

Regards, Mike

Last edited by MAgner; 04-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.
MAgner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
jrl915

MAgner,

Try the Cartavio XO; it is very good.
jrl915 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums