MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

8 years ago in 2006, Firefly Distillery LLC was established in Charleston County, South Carolina.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas

From real fruit to the worst synthetic flavors what do you like and how do you drink it?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley
Default Bacardi "Oakheart" Spiced Rum

Just tried this with my Bacardi salesperson. 70-proof. Tried it straight and then with American Coca-Cola, which really brought out the vanilla in it.

Not sure why Bacardi has almost ignored the spiced rum market until now, unless they just didn't want to go toe-to-toe with Diageo and Captain Morgan. Their Seven Tiki spiced rum isn't available in all markets, for some reason.

I do know that this is a growing category, and Admiral Nelson (recently acquired by Heaven Hill) is doing very well, so I'm guessing that Bacardi figured "better late than never" to the spiced rum party.

It's okay, but nothing to go out of your way for. There are many others which I prefer. Retail price is aprox. $15

Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Jamie76

How does this compare to CP spiced rum? I'm assuming it is rather similar...
Jamie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Thanks for the info Joe. I heard there was going to be a new product launch but never got any more info from Bacardi other than the name Oakheart.
Bacardi had a spiced rum more than 10 years ago but I guess it didn't meet the exacting sales numbers needed to stay in the Bacardi lineup so it was replaced by such classics as Rock Melon and Dragonberry.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Dave in the basement

Thanks for passing this along. I had never heard of it, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. That is quite an attractive bottle, in my opinion.

Dave
Dave in the basement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie76 View Post
How does this compare to CP spiced rum? I'm assuming it is rather similar...
I must be drawing a blank, because I cannot think of what CP spiced rum is - do you mean, "Cruzan 9"? Or "Captain Morgan"?

I'm basically an economies-of-scale kind of guy. For less money, I'd rather have El Dorado spiced rum (80-pf) or Sailor Jerry (92-pf), or even Cruzan 9. Oakheart is more expensive than Captain Morgan, at the same proof, and I think this will hurt its sales, at least in the U.S.A., considering the rash of aggressive new television and print advertising that Diageo is putting into Captain Morgan.

I've never had Bacardi's "Seven Tiki" spiced rum, but I'd like to try it just for comparison's sake and for a reference point.

There really isn't anything "wrong" with Bacardi "Oakheart"; I just don't think that it brings anything new to the category of spiced rums.

If you like the taste of vanilla in your rum and Coke, then this certainly won't disappoint you; order up an "Oak and Coke" and enjoy
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Jamie76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riley View Post
I must be drawing a blank, because I cannot think of what CP spiced rum is - do you mean, "Cruzan 9"? Or "Captain Morgan"?

I'm basically an economies-of-scale kind of guy. For less money, I'd rather have El Dorado spiced rum (80-pf) or Sailor Jerry (92-pf), or even Cruzan 9. Oakheart is more expensive than Captain Morgan, at the same proof, and I think this will hurt its sales, at least in the U.S.A., considering the rash of aggressive new television and print advertising that Diageo is putting into Captain Morgan.

I've never had Bacardi's "Seven Tiki" spiced rum, but I'd like to try it just for comparison's sake and for a reference point.

There really isn't anything "wrong" with Bacardi "Oakheart"; I just don't think that it brings anything new to the category of spiced rums.

If you like the taste of vanilla in your rum and Coke, then this certainly won't disappoint you; order up an "Oak and Coke" and enjoy
Thanks Joe. I meant CM (Captain Morgan). Was a long day.
Jamie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Nozza

How can you find out if these, or any rums for that matter, are flavoured artificially?

For some reason I don't like the idea of artificially flavoured rums but in the UK the ingredients laws don't seem to cover booze.
Nozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
ben_brassard_1

I found oakheart to be delicious actually, much more so than even the captain. I'm not the most experienced cat on the block, but i foundit to be exceptionally smooth.
ben_brassard_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Rumncoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_brassard_1 View Post
I found oakheart to be delicious actually, much more so than even the captain. I'm not the most experienced cat on the block, but i foundit to be exceptionally smooth.
Same here, I've had a few bottles of Oakheart now, its one of my faves. Last one was on offer in Tesco....£16 for 1 litre! I prefer it to CM spiced (still a CM fan though and that's when got me into rum in the first pace) but for me both are out done by Lambs Spiced....I absolutely LOVE this stuff but with Pepsi and not Coke....tastes a bit to metallic with coke for me.

£16 for 1 litres great value though....

I can't get on with Sailor Jerry. Gave the rest of he bottle to my neighbour. I keep coming close to getting the older version but the prices are high...
Rumncoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas