MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

121 years ago in 1893, the West Indies Rum Refinery was founded on Barbados.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Escopeton
Liberated from the Rum Lovers Forums

Default Hola desde Albuquerque

Saludos a todos.

My contact with rum was usually as a Cuba Libre. I also tried mojitos which were good but little on the sweet side for me. All nice social drinks that I enjoy, even now. However...

My wife had a conference in San Juan and asked me if I would like to join her to which I said of course. We recruited my mother in law to watch our young kids and planned our vacaction, which we were years past in doing. We tacked on a few days extra so we can hang around before and after and enjoy Puerto Rico (I also have cousins there). I started my research and found that a smaller island closeby had very accessible fly fishing and our trip started to take form.

I am a fly fisherman; guide, instructor and some freelance, and avidly seek out places to fish with a fly rod. The little island is Vieques. We stayed in Esperanza at a little hotel close to the malecon. Through information shared with other fly rodders, a couple mentioned a sipping rum that they tried and fell in love with when visiting Puerto Rico.

When we got to Vieques and settled in, we drove to a beach on a map. I can use a dozen of adjectives to describe the beaches we saw but justice wouldn't be served to the beauty. My wife planted herself on a towel, I grabbed my fly rod and got on top of a pocket flat out in the water and started to cast. I hooked a small bonefish but didn't bring it to hand - the hook simply pulled out. But, the thrill of hooking such an exotic fish in a superb location was brilliant.

Later we left the beach to have lunch at a place on the malecon. After lunch, my wife had dessert and I ordered a glass of Ron de Barrilito, Tres Estrellas. At first the waitress didn't know what I was talking about and asked the boss if they had it and he said yes. I ordered it straight up. After I sipped the rum my wife said, "You look like you're going to cry." I replied, "I am doing my best not too." This vacation was needed by both of us and it had started out great. I was sitting in a restaurant overlooking El Mar Caribe with my wife, I had hooked my first bonefish and the excalmation point was a little glass of rum. My chest could barely hold the good feeling. My wife asked for a taste of the rum. She took a sip and sat there a second and said, "Oh whatever" and shrugged her shoulders. Gracias honey.

The second visit to Vieques and Puerto Rico was with the kids. I even took my mother in law with us. Our next trip is next year to Vieques.

I finally found an online store that will ship Ron de Barrilito to New Mexico. So, I can at least enjoy it here.

Oiga, Rum Runner. Me debes un trago cuando regreso a Vieques.
Escopeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Rum Runner

Welcome to the forums "mi hermano".

Thanks for expressing your visits to this crazy little rock of Vieques Island.

I'm not surprised you found your way here. Saltwater Flyfishing and Rum are two things that bring immense pleasure in different ways.

You will recognize me from the Vieques forums on TripAdvisor as VQSJIM.

I was the first sport to land a bonefish here with Captain Franco many years ago now. And my first taste of Ron del Barrilto is still a treasured memory as well.

On your next visit, let's meet. We'll rip some lips and share a dram of of the three star.

As I'm always reminded, there's a reason they call it fishing and not catching!

Saludos!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
rumdog007

Welcome, Escopeton!

Ohhhh, the Ron de Barrilito! Now, you've gone and made me get up and pour some...

That was a great idea, thanks!
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
forrest

Welcome to the for-rum Escopeton!

Excellent story.. thanks for sharing.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
RonJames

Hola Escopeton, yo quiero regreso puerto rico tambien. My fiancee is PR and we are slated to get married down there in August. I also share your love of the barrilito. If you get the chance look at some of the pics of rum runners and rumeliers adventure at the production site. Many happy returns.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Escopeton
Liberated from the Rum Lovers Forums

Thanks for the welcome. Rum Runner you're on for the fishing. Of course, for celebration after the fishing is on, too.
Escopeton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions