MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

153 years ago in 1861, Le Galion S.A.E.M. (Martinique) was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Enrico died Oct 9 of this year but the restaurant has reopened. Unfortunately the bar has lost much of its passion. I went late last week and was offered a special mojito made with Bacardi light. There is a time and place for Bacardi light but that was neither.
Yeah. I was in there once during David's tenure. I just thought the place was busy and he was in craze trying to keep up. Later I discovered more about him and his circus act and the fact that he could be just as worked up over 1 drink order as he could a counter full of persons waiting impatiently.

That was too bad about Enrico. If I recall correctly he lost the business once before due to tax issues.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
Matusalem

Now that I've been able to gather my thoughts on this:
Quote:
Oronoco is a blend of Brazilian sugar cane spirit made from freshly pressed sugar cane grown on the mountains in the southern part of that vast country, and aged Venezuelan rum.
Of course nothing is concrete here, but wouldn't one estimate Pampero is the mostly likely source Diageo tapped for the "aged rum" - or no?

Quote:
The reason Oronoco tastes more like an aged rum than what many percieve to be a white rum is that fact that the base spirit is made from freshly squeezed sugar cane juice. So you might ask, "Why doesn't Oronoco taste more like rhum agricole." That lies in the way rhum agricole and the base spirit for Oronoco are distilled. Rhum agricole is distilled to about 72% alcohol by volume, which Oronoco is distilled to a much higher proof rendering it closer to a neutral spirit. The vanilla flavor of Oronoco comes in large part from the addition of aged Venezuelan rum.
Aren't the Zacapa, Zaya and Botran rums made from fresh squeezed cane juice? I realize prior to bottling these go through significant maturation, but just curious, do you think the ageing and barrel influence is what has washed away their *agricole*-like edge or are they also distilled to very high percentages? Or is it a combination of all the mentioned factors?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post

Aren't the Zacapa, Zaya and Botran rums made from fresh squeezed cane juice?
All of these rums are made from sugar cane syrup. Since Pampero is also owned by Diageo, there could be a good guess, but it might be something else they own or buy, I try not to speculate.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #14
Matusalem

Quote:
All of these rums are made from sugar cane syrup. Since Pampero is also owned by Diageo, there could be a good guess, but it might be something else they own or buy, I try not to speculate.
Under the buying concept that would make sense, although buying outside does defy some sense from the shareholder's perspective. As far as owning, given that it was specifically identified as Venezuelan in orgin, that led me to speculate the source.

Like you though, I realize nothing is certain with regards to spirit marketing. Educated guesses aside, I do like the current final product. It will be interesting to see if it can be maintained for years to come.

As an interesting side, you mentioned Oronoco's early marketing - if I recall correctly (the marketing I saw personally) focused significantly on the family who grows the cane in Brazil... their other world renown cane related productions and migration from Europe etc. Now that Oronoco has established itself and the questions have mounted, much of the focus has moved from the skill of the cane owners and their cane from Heaven, to what type of magic trick Diageo has in its top hat.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #15
Scottes

New Hampshire is now selling Oronoco. On sale for $30, as I saw today.

I paid $44 in NYC last month... :-(
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:02 AM   #16
Edward Hamilton
Founder

You have to love New Hampshire. Hope you had a nice drive.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #17
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Oronoco is fine rum

Oronoco from Brazil gets my vote as one of my favorite white rums for sipping. It has a delightful flavor and a clean finish and stands apart from most white rums I enjoy.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post

Aren't the Zacapa, Zaya and Botran rums made from fresh squeezed cane juice? I realize prior to bottling these go through significant maturation, but just curious, do you think the ageing and barrel influence is what has washed away their *agricole*-like edge or are they also distilled to very high percentages? Or is it a combination of all the mentioned factors?
I just realized I hadn't responded to this question so here it is: Zacapa, Zaya and Botran rums are made from sugar cane syrup and not fresh sugar cane jiuce. They are also distilled to about 92% abv unlike rhum agricole which is distilled to about 72% abv which is why it has so much more flavor than other rums which are distilled to a higher proof. Aging also affect their profile but the raw ingredients and distillation proof account for the majority of the difference.
Ministry of Rum

Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
Oronoco from Brazil gets my vote as one of my favorite white rums for sipping. It has a delightful flavor and a clean finish and stands apart from most white rums I enjoy.
I agree 100% ! its a very nice, very crisp fresh flavorful white rum. If you compare this rum with the worst white rum (that I know of so far) Bacardi "superior" with its almost offensive and industrial, metallic taste you will really see how different rums can taste, if we now really can call this Bacardi a RUM in the right sense of the word?

I suppose its made for mass produced drinks?
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
Brigand

Tiare,
is there a liquor store in Stockholm that sells Oronoco or did you obtain it another way ?
I have a mate that lives near Malmo so maybe he could get me 2 bottles when he drives up next time he visits some other friends!

Cheers
Brigand is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums