View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

You are lucky to have found a bottle of Cruzan Clipper, that spiced rum is very hard to find and was going to be discontinued a few years ago.

Unlike many other rum companies, all of the rums bottled under the Cruzan label are aged at least 2 years. Their Estate Diamond is a blend of rums aged between 5 and, I believe, 10 years. Cruzan Single Barrel rums are aged up to 12 years, but the Estate Diamond is my preferred rum from that lineup.

Cruzan has historically concentrated on making rums which are slightly fuller in body than the rums made about 75 miles west on Puerto Rico. For a distillery located in the hurricane belt, it is a real gamble to rely on very old rums as part of your business plan. Hurricane Hugo in 1989 destroyed much of St Croix though the distillery was spared compared to many other businesses.

When you age a light bodied rum more than about 12 to 15 years the taste of the wood tends to overpower the rum flavor. Cruzan has been very successful in making rum to fill the demand in their market. In the simplest terms, for Cruzan to make and age rums more than 15 years would require them to do a lot of things differently which aren't cost effective for their market. Very few people in the rum industry make much money on their oldest rums after you consider the costs involved in making a product and then warehousing, insuring and maintaining it for more than 15 years which is one of the reasons some well-known brands are changing their age statements and reducing the aged components of their oldest products.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote