View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default Bottles and such

Having worked with a number of producers and design companies who were commissioned to design the ultimate spirits bottle for their customer, most of the time I'm not impressed. Not with some of the most beautiful glass molding I've ever seen, but at the price of such indulgence for a vessel that is going to serve a very limited life use, if the spirit is as good as we hope it is going to be and we drink it as quickly as the producer would like us to.

So, how important is a custom bottle to you as a rum fancier? I'm not talking about the label that might look like an eighth grade art project, but the bottle itself. It is my contention that if the contents speak for themselves you don't need to increase the cost of a product with the packaging. On the other hand, if you don't have as much confidence in your product and are marketing a product to a less-informed mass audience then you need as much help as you can get. From my experience, producers can add from one to five dollars a bottle to a product simply by over-spending on the bottle.

Don't misunderstand me, there has to be a balance between the bottle, label design, price and quality of the product. Some of the best rums I've had the pleasure of drinking came in some fairly plain packaging that would never make it on a retail shelf. Except, in those stores that appreciate what's in the bottle as much as the bottle itself.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote