View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Interestingly enough, I went looking through my rums for a couple to review, and came across two bottles of St. James - the Hors D'Age and the Royal Ambre. The labels on both contain the word Agricole in thier descriptions and both contain the phrase "Appelation d'origine Controlée" on the label.

I have two other Martinique rums, the Kaniche and the Clement VSOP. The Kaniche says nothing about Agricole or Appelation d'origine Controlée. The Clement says both "V.S.O.P Rum" and "Rhum Clement V.S.O.P" - not an agricole by the looks of it. However, the back label says something perhaps a bit misleading: "The heirs of the H. Clement Estate...offer a wide variety of white rums all certified with the Appelation d'origine Controlée Martinique..." This seems to imply that it's an agricole, but does not specifically say so. Nor can I find any info on the Web that says it's an agricole - or not, so I have to assume it's not.
Actually the Clement Estate used to bottle only AOC rhum agricole but have begun bottling rhums that do no bear the AOC seal. And I should mention that Depaz Blue Cane Amber Rhum is also AOC rhum agricole, distilled at the Depaz distillery in Martinique and bottled on the island. In Martinique, the Depaz bottles carry the AOC mark and the words rhum agricole on the label, but the label for the US import market doesn't have the AOC mark on the label. I am confident that it will be changed shortly.

Quote:
I also noticed that both Saint James rums are products of Martinique, while the Kaniche and Clement are products of France. Does the rum have to be a product of Martinique to be an agricole?
Currently, rhum agricole can be bottled in Martinique or France but there is discussion of the regulations being tightened so that only rhum agricole bottled in Martinique can carry the AOC mark.

Quote:
Out of curiousity, what type of agricole do you prefer for a Ti' Punch? White, gold, unaged, aged, aged even longer?
I like rhum agricole blanc at 100 proof, as it is bottled in Martinique. Most of the French distillers bottle their clear spirit at 100 and 110 proof but I prefer the 100 proof in most cases. The old rhums I prefer to drink with a little water and a glass of water on the side.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote