|Rum Dinner at Cafe Atlantico|
Café Atlantico Honors the Caribbean Spirit with First Annual Rum Weekend
Featuring Specials and Events with Guests Ed Hamilton
- August 14th through 16th, José Andrés' ThinkFoodGroup and the team at Café Atlantico invites
Washingtonians to experience a summer getaway through a celebration of the Caribbean's most famous spirit with the
first annual Rum Weekend.
- Joined by special guest Ed Hamilton of the Ministry of Rum, Café Atlantico will offer
rum flights, specialty cocktails and inspired menu items to guests during the Rum Weekend. The celebration also features
a complimentary rum tasting on Friday, August 14th and culminates in a rum dinner hosted by Ed Hamilton on
Sunday, August 16th.
- Space is limited for the Rum dinner, so reservations should be made by calling (202) 393-0812.
- Friday, August 14, 2009 from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Café Atlántico's Rum Weekend begins with a special rum tasting. Importers from Pyrat, Zacapa, Mount Gay, Neisson and others will be on hand offering guests complimentary samples of selected rums and answering questions about the various sugar cane spirits.
- Sunday, August 16th, at 6:30 p.m.
- The Ministry of Rum's Ed Hamilton will lead a rum dinner featuring four courses of
island and rum-inspired dishes by Chef Terri Cutrino paired with handcrafted cocktails including the Navy Grog and Rum Punch as well as a
selection of sipping rums to accompany dessert. The rum dinner is priced at $75 per person including cocktails (tax and tip not included). Menu below.
- In honor of Rum Weekend, Café Atlantico's Beverage Director Jill Zimorski has developed several rum flights
including the Rum, Ron, Rhum featuring rums from English, Spanish and French-speaking islands; the Pyrat featuring the
brand's highly sought after XO Reserve, Pistol and Cask 23 rums; and the Spanish Main, a trio of rums from the
Spanish-speaking Caribbean. Each rum flight includes three one-ounce pours and is priced between $12-25.
- Throughout the weekend, Zimorski will also be showcasing specialty rum-based cocktails including the Navy Grog,
a refreshing rum and lime cocktail inspired by the preferred drink of the English navy and Nelson's Blood,
a tasty blend of Pusser's rum and housemade grenadine named after Lord Nelson whose body was preserved in
a cask of rum after the Battle of Trafalgar.
- Also available is the Death by Cannon a slushy rum and coconut cream
cocktail inspired by the classic Painkiller and Cannonball cocktails. The cocktails will run as specials all weekend
and are priced at $10-12. In addition, Chef Cutrino will be featuring island and rum inspired specials such as
Jerk Red Snapper and Trio of Seafood Ceviches, ranging in price from $20-29.
Rum is the classic spirit of the Caribbean, a spirit associated with the maritime and pirate legends.
- Rum Dinner
Sunday, August 16th 6:30 pm
- Hosted by Ed Hamilton
$75 per person
including paired rum cocktails
- Passed Conch Fritters
- 1st Course
- Trio of seafood ceviches
- 2nd Course
- Jerk Red Snapper
- 3rd Course
- Confit of rum marinated baby pig
- Rum cake with tropical fruits & mojito sorbet
Under the direction of José Andrés' THINKfoodGROUP, Café Atlantico is open for lunch
Tuesday through Friday from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM; for dinner Tuesday through Thursday and Sunday from 5 PM to 10 PM
and on Friday and Saturday from 5 PM to 11 PM. Cafe Atlantico is closed on Mondays. Brunch on Saturdays is available
from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM. And their famous "Nuevo Latino" Dim Sum Brunch is available on Sundays from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
- Café Atlantico - 405 8th Street, NW, Washington, D.C.
- For reservations, call 202-393-0812
- or visit
- Café Atlantico.com
Last Updated: Mar 29, 2011